Description of Dokdo
Dokdo is an isolated island in the eastern reaches of the nation's territory. It is located 87.4 southeast of Ulleungdo Island.
Dokdo Island (180,902m) is formed from a volcanic rock. The island is located at a latitude of 3714' north and a longitude of 13152' east.
Along with Ulleungdo Island, Dokdo Island was one part of a country called Usanguk. According to records, Usanguk became part of the Silla dynasty (57B.C. ~ 935 A.D.) in June of the 13th year that King Jijeung ruled Silla. Isabu (a general and politician of Silla) gained enough strength at that time to take over Usanguk.
In the Seongjong Memoir of the Joseon dynasty, there are passages by Kim Jaju describing Dokdo Island (called Sambongdo at that time). Dokdo was called 'Sambongdo', 'Gajido' or 'Usando', but the name was changed to Dokdo in 1881. The name 'Dokdo' was first used in 1906 by the Headman of Ulleung County Sim Heungtaek. In 1914, Dokdo Island officially became an administrative district of the Gyeongsangbuk-do Province.
After The Japanese Invasion of Korea in 1592, Japanese fishermen often came near Ulleungdo and Dokdo. Sukjong Sillok, the Annals of King Sukjong(1674-1720), records that An Yongbok went twice to Japan in order to protest against Japanese nationals trespassing into Korean territory.
He asked the Japanese authorities to recognize Korea's sovereignty over these islands and to forbid Japanese nationals to sail to these islands.
Dokdo Island is composed of two main islets, Dongdo (East Island)and Seodo (West Island), as well as 36 rock islets. Dongdo (98 meters above sea level) has a crater. Seodo (168 meters above sea level) does not have a crater but it is also made of volcanic rocks. Between Dongdo and Seodo is the Hyeongjegul Cave, and there is the Cheonsanggul Cave on Dongdo. Over time, other caves and topographic features of the island have formed due to weathering and erosion.
Japan acknowledged the value of Dokdo Island after the Russo-Japanese War of 1905. Japan unilaterally transferred Dokdo Island to Shimane Prefecture, Japan and renamed it "Dakesima".
A few authorities in Japan have continuously declared their dominion, over the island, which led to diplomatic conflicts between Korea and Japan. It is still unresolved.
Presently there are security guards on Dokdo Island. Houses were built on the rocks as well as a small harbor. Some fresh water have also been found on the island, supplying safe drinking water for its inhabitants.
Until recently, only researchers, reporters and other special cases were given permission to tour Dokdo. Now, anyone interested in visiting the island can apply at the Ulleung-gun Administrative Office (+82-54-790-6420/Kor). Interested persons can only visit the island after permission has been granted and must apply 15 days prior to their desired tour date.
Visitors wishing to take a ferry ride around the island may do so at anytime. Ferries run twice a day, the first at 7 am and the second at 2 pm. You can catch the Sambongho ferry at Dodong Harbor on Ulleungdo Island. The trip lasts for approximately four hours and costs 37,500 won for those 19 years and over. Approximately 30~40 minutes of the ferry trip are spent exploring the coastline of Dokdo.
Address: San 1~37, Dokdo-ri, Ulleung-eup, Ulleung-gun, Gyeongsangbuk-do
source from : http://english.tour2korea.com
Inquiries: Culture and Tourism Department of Ulleung-gun
Tel. +82-54-790-6393 (Korean)/ Travel Phone +82-54-1330(Eng, Kor, Jpn, Chn)